On February 25 1864, the story of our history began when four Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions arrived in Napier and started a convent on Bluff Hill. In 1867 a house was constructed on Ferry Road, Christchurch, and that became the Novitiate for New Zealand.
On July 30, 1884, four nuns arrived in Hamilton to provide Christian education for the settlers’ children. Sister Mary St Germaine, Sister Mary of the Seven Dolours, Sister Mary Angele and Sister Francis of Assisi from the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions. Initially they lived in a four-bedroomed cottage at 68 Cook Street and taught their young charges in nearby Hibernian Hall. By the time the four Sisters arrived in Hamilton the order had houses in Napier, Christchurch, Nelson, Ashburton and New Plymouth. The Sisters had brought 2 acres of land in Clyde Street for 120 pounds and the First Convent Foundation stone was laid on 26th October, 1884 of what would become a wooden school and boarding hostel.
In 1884 The Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions started teaching 30 boys and girls in a hall in Cook Street. The roll increased steadily until all the Catholic children of school age were catered for. They also had a select school for girls. Sacred Heart Girls College provided an education for the Catholic women in the Waikato. None of these four Sisters ever returned home to their own country or saw parents and family again. Our first Postulant from the Waikato Mary Murphy later known as Sister Mary Anastasia in 1889. 1885 saw the new convent and classroom finished. In 1908 The Select School became Sacred Heart Girls’ College as there were big changes in the school system. The school as it is today, started to be built in 1963.
The old wooden building was over 50 years old so the building of the now Euphrasie House started. Sacred Heart moved over the road to the present day site. It was a long wooden building with the Marist Hall attached. In 1959 there was another advance in the educational life of Sacred Heart Girls’ College as it was placed on the University Entrance Accrediting list of schools. In 1960 the Bishops of New Zealand introduced school fees – £2 per child per term. As the College roll continued to grow additions to the College became necessary. Sacred Heart Girls’ College has now extended both it’s buildings and land. New netball and tennis courts have recently been completed and many new building projects are currently underway including a new Library and arts block on Cook street site. In 1980 the school became integrated. In 2012 the boarding hostel was closed.