Sport Code of Conduct
This code does not set out to provide a detailed prescription, but rather the broad principles of acceptable behaviour in secondary school sport.
Breaches of this or any other code could lead to disciplinary action by: the offender’s school, OSSSA under its complaint procedure, or Regional Sports Organisations.
1. Play for enjoyment.
2. Play hard but fair.
3. Play to the laws of the game.
4. Be committed to your team. Attend all practices and matches.
5. Never argue with officials. Control your temper at all times.
6. Work equally hard for yourself and your team.
7. Be a good sport. Applaud all good play whether by your team or your opponent.
8. Remember the goals of the game are to have fun, improve your skills and feel good.
9. Use appropriate and acceptable language.
1. Positively reinforce the actions of players.
2. Lead by example.
3. Be honest with yourself and players.
4. Create an enjoyable environment in which to play the game.
5. Develop team respect for officials.
6. Give all players the opportunity to participate in the game.
7. Insist on fair play and discipline.
8. Be reasonable on the demand on players’ time, energy and enthusiasm.
9. Encourage sportsmanship.
10. Use appropriate and acceptable language.
1. Applaud the performance of both teams.
2. Be positive with the officials.
3. Acknowledge the efforts of the officials.
4. Let the players play their game, not your game.
5. Praise efforts, not results.
6. Set an example for the players.
7. Use appropriate and acceptable language.
1. Encourage all participants to play within the rules of the game.
2. Display self-control on the sideline.
3. Show appreciation to coaches and officials who facilitate the game.
4. Remember young people play sport for their satisfaction, not yours.
1. Control the game in a fair and positive manner.
2. Be consistent and objective in your rulings.
3. Modify your approach to suit the level of player skill.
4. Help players learn the rules by explaining decisions where appropriate.
5. Do what you can to make sure that everyone enjoys the game.
6. Encourage fair play and not tolerate foul play of any kind.
7. Be a positive role model.